Friday, February 26, 2010

Do I have to use varnish after my oil painting is a bit dry?

My oil painting, is now a bit dry. It's quite thick. Do I have to use varnish ? If yes, are there any special needs after putting varnish?Do I have to use varnish after my oil painting is a bit dry?
Wait a while. Let it dry thoroughly. You don't have to use varnish but it does add a nice, consistent finish to things. {Mayer says 3-6 months and that no oil painting should be left unvarnished for more than a year.}





Afterwards? I wouldn't roll it and you may have to clean it occasionally {many years down the road... hopefully some restorator will be taking care of that.}Do I have to use varnish after my oil painting is a bit dry?
I tell my students to wait 6 months to a year to varnish their work. You can get varnish in gloss or matt, in a spray can or brushable. If you spray use several coats drying between coats. I prefer to brush it with a foam brush and gloss varnish. To finish make your last strokes horizontal to reduce glare. The varnish evens out dull and shiny areas, makes the colors look richer, takes away the chalky look oils sometimes get, and PROTECTS THE PAINTING.
Let it dry completely before applying anything.


Varnish of course helps preserve the painting in time... there are really practical spray varnish, both opaque or glossy.
no, DEFNITELY NOT. if its very thick do not varnish it until about 14-15 months after painting was complete. and no u dont have to varnish it at all actually
it should completey dry but why use it varnish will make it shiny like aclirics or maybe more.......it's ur choice but i like my oil paintings 2 stay thier way
Wait for it to dry completely. And then just spray the varnish making sure the whole picture is covered. Best done outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment