Saturday, February 27, 2010

I added Varnish to an oil painting I finished 10 days ago. Is my painting ruined?

I know that you have to wait months before adding varnish, but the paint was dry so I added varnish on it. When researching I saw that the painting can crack if the oil page isn't completely dry. The painting is for a friend....





..... does this mean I totally ruined my painting???I added Varnish to an oil painting I finished 10 days ago. Is my painting ruined?
This depends on several things.





If the paint layer is thick it will be more likely to wrinkle and crack than if it is very thin.





Oil paint does not dry through evaporation. It oxidizes. It dries to the touch within days however the completely dry state is more like ';cured.';





Varnish is added as a final layer as a protective layer and a surface unifying layer. Ideally, it is applied in a manner that allows it to be removed and replaced periodically as it yellows and collects dirt. When you apply the final varnish while the paint is in an uncured state there is a possible reaction whereby the varnish and paint layers bond making removal of the varnish impossible without taking the paint with it. The bonding essentially combines the two into one.





In your case the thickness of the paint layer will be the most important factor determining whether you can expect it to be significantly compromised by the varnish layer.





Removal of the varnish layer at any point is done very slowly and carefully. Q-tips and cotton balls are used in a lifting up motion as opposed to anything that would resemble a rubbing in motion.





A thick paint layer, though more likely to crack and wrinkle, also can be preferred in your case because it gives you something to work with. Removing the varnish removes some of the paint. The idea is to remove as little as possible. Having more paint provides a wider margin before the point when you have removed the image and it has to be repainted/touched up.I added Varnish to an oil painting I finished 10 days ago. Is my painting ruined?
The chosen answer is fine for restorers but not practical for amateur artist work. While technically correct I stand on just leaving it alone.Trying to remove the varnish may do more harm unless you want to pay big $ to a restorer. After it cures completely you can re-varnish it for removable finish

Report Abuse



Generally speaking an oil painting should dry at least six months before varnish is applied, the surface of the paint may feel dry but what's under the surface probably isn't. It is possible that it may crack but as was already stated it may be years down the road.





I would also attempt to remove the varnish as carefully as possible then let it sit somewhere safe and dry after any touch ups if necessary away from dust for a few months before you re-varnish.
No. If the site you saw earlier is the one listed below it informs you that the painting needs to dry for about 9 months, if done to early it will cause cracking later, but it is not totally ruined and it may only crack a little years down the road. I would say you're ok unless your friend is a perfectionist in which case they can do their own painting.


.


http://painting.about.com/od/oilpainting鈥?/a>
I think it is ruined. Just my opinion but I don't think varnish is ever needed on oil paintings. I have paintings I did 50 years ago that look just as fresh as the day they were finished and I never put varnish on any of them.
I have been trying to tell people for years about varnishing paintings and most artists still don't get it.





YOUR PAINTING IS NOT RUINED. Leave it alone!





It depends on the type of varnish. Paintings that are fresh can be coated with Re-touch varnish. This kind allows for the painting underneath to continue to dry and allow for the artist to re-work the painting again as well. If you use a permanent one such as Dammar your paint will not completely dry underneath and possibly crack later. It is true that the thinner the paint the more likely you will not see any problem for a very long time. If you are a student level painter don't worry about it and learn from the experience.





FURTHERMORE - Do Not try to remove the varnish now as it may do more harm to the painting than leaving it alone. Especially since it is not completely dry!





For those who don't think it is necessary to varnish paintings, I say they are right - if you like a finish that is inconsistent and dull, don't mind pollutants, smoke tar and nicotine, bugs, stains and years of grime to deeply discolor the painting over time. A good non-yellowing varnish will make it easier to do gentle cleaning anytime in the future as needed. Lastly it makes the colors come alive and brings out beautiful details in the painting sometimes lost with a dull surface.





The coat of varnish evens the finish and gives a layer that can be removed in the future to reveal and freshen the painting. It reveals the image the artist intended.





I use Winsor %26amp; Newton Conserv-Art Removable Varnish on my paintings. It is removable and non yellowing. I use it also on the restorations I do for customers at my professional picture framing business.





Always follow instructions for this and any other products.





www.cheapjoes.com is where I get many of my supplies.

No comments:

Post a Comment