Friday, February 26, 2010

How many coats of varnish to do I need to apply on an acrylic painting?

wondering...it's a ';drip'; style painting.How many coats of varnish to do I need to apply on an acrylic painting?
if it is acrylic you don't have to put on varnish unless you want a different sheen. Gloss adds more depth to the painting but if it is a drip painting maybe you want a more matte finish. I personally don't like brush strokes so I roll it on with a foam roller, let it set up for a few minutes and then roll over it again with a dry roller to take out the roller marks. I also pounce with fine cheesecloth to take out roller marks or brush strokes.How many coats of varnish to do I need to apply on an acrylic painting?
Agree, pretty much.


You don't need varnish.


However, varnish does add addition protection to the painting.


Acrylic can be scratched.


Light might effect some colors, so a varnish that included UV protections could be good.


Also, as implied above, if you want a gloss finish, varnish with gloss. If you want a mat finish, and your painting is a bit shiny, the apply a mat varnish.

No comments:

Post a Comment