Friday, February 26, 2010

What is the best way to paint over kitchen units that are varnished without remover or sanding?

I did this with mine. I bought a product called ESP from B %26amp; Q. It is fairly expensive but does work. You just put it on with a cloth and wipe of the exess. I then undercoated and applied satin wood with a small sponge roller. I took the doors off and painted them flat. I have since noticed a special paint in B %26amp; Q for painting cupobards. It appears that some little idiot knows my kitchen cupboards better than I do, otherwise, why on earth would I get a thumbs down?What is the best way to paint over kitchen units that are varnished without remover or sanding?
I used liquid sandpaper and four ought steel wool before I applied the paint.





As a matter of interest, in our current house we had our kitchen cabinets repainted last year. Against my better judgment, my wife had them use a latex paint. It looked great but now we're are having problems with it chipping off in various places. It looks like the primer was put on too thick. If I had a chance to do it over, I would have used oil based paint like the original paint job. Oil based paint just holds up better in places like kitchens.What is the best way to paint over kitchen units that are varnished without remover or sanding?
You need to remove the current finish by stripping it. If you don't like chemicals you can use a citrus-based product.





If you don't prepare the surface properly, the new paint just won't last.
Purchase a liguid sander.


http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stor鈥?/a>


Be sure to prime cabinets before painting. Get water-based Kilz-It tinted close to your paint color and then paint with an enamel paint for durability. I use small foam rollers and foam brushes.
you can buy products that do exactly what you want B+Q do them or you could get them on the internet it may work out cheaper, try twenga they have lots of DIY stuff
In your dreams.





(Poor painting practise - will likely chip no matter what paint you apply or what rubbing down you do)
Prime them then paint them it worked for me and they came out great
Clean the cabinets with Mr. Clean magic erasers, they remove grease and hand prints well. Then paint with Kilz before applying color.
clean with something called ';sugar soap';

No comments:

Post a Comment