Friday, February 26, 2010

I am painting wooden eggs , I want to know how to dip them in varnish without leaving marks on them .?

I have seen web sites that speak of dipping them five or more times . I haven't a clue how to go about it . I thought this would be a good place to start . Thank you in advance for any insight .I am painting wooden eggs , I want to know how to dip them in varnish without leaving marks on them .?
I've never done that, but obviously, you need a way to hold the egg while dipping and drying.





I would create a holder that grips the egg via two reasonably sharp points, dip the egg, let it dry until the finish is no longer tacky (so you can handle it w/o leaving fingerprints), then use a small brush to touch up where the points touched the finish. If a meniscus forms next to the point, you might need to use a sharp X-acto knife to cut it down before touch-up.I am painting wooden eggs , I want to know how to dip them in varnish without leaving marks on them .?
Put the egg in a shallow scoop spoon. Dunk it all the way. Then raise the egg half way out. Fix the spoon in that position and wait for the exposed half to dry. Now you can hold the egg by the dry half. Dip the other half again (which has marks on it left by the spoon) and the marks are gone.
Drive a pin or thin piece of wire into the end of your egg and use it to hold while you dip, and also as something to use in a clamp while you wait for it to dry. You can fill in the tiny hole it leaves when you remove it quite simply.
If the bottoms are flat, just put a small eyelet in the bottom and tie a string on the end, and dip away. Just remove the excess.
I would use aerosol or some sort of inexpensive spraying tools. You can spray water based products with these as well that will dry faster and be less likely to leave marks.
This is not really an answer for what you asked but when I paint wooden eggs I brush on the sealer.

No comments:

Post a Comment