Saturday, February 27, 2010

What can I use to get latex paint off of varnished wood trim...without ruining the varnished wood trim???

Try Joy dishwashing liquid straight, with a wet plastic scrubber,/scratcher. Thats what I do.What can I use to get latex paint off of varnished wood trim...without ruining the varnished wood trim???
A product called '; Goof Off'; comes in smaller can like 3 in one oil size.





My wife loves it for alll sorts of stuff.What can I use to get latex paint off of varnished wood trim...without ruining the varnished wood trim???
I recently removed latex paint from stained woodwork. I had a can of paint remover-orangey looking (was a paint stripper),I soaked a rag and dabbed the stripper on the latex spot,and soaked several other spots, in 3-5 minutes returned to 1st spot,put more stripper on rag %26amp; rubbed the area back %26amp; forth %26amp; it came off easliy %26amp; didn't take the stain away,but removed the paint. I then applied semi gloss minwax %26amp; applied w/small brush and made the entire wood work look as if brand new.
There is a product in the paint section that is called Oops (real name). Its is used for removing dried latex. I am not sure how it will affect varnish though. Give it a read.
Orange based stripper. It works with out fumes and should strip the paint nicely.
Citristrip is great. I purchased it at Busy Beaver for around $16.99 for a gallon. I recently restored the wood trim around my windows and it took the paint off, yet it left the varnish in tact. It had a citrus smell to it rather than the pungent odor of the traditional paint removers. But you must understand, this was the original trim to a 75 year old house, so there may have been a lot of layers of varnish put on it. Even so, back then the varnish may have even been thicker.





I deliberately removed the varnish with an electric palm sander because the wood stain was too dark for my taste. I sanded and then re-stained it and applied Minwax satin finish.





They came out beautiful!
first off, don't listen to anyone suggesting any form of stripper. that WILL ruin your wood. the best way to remove latex paint from trim is with a razor blade and a steady hand. start flat against the wood and move with the grain. you will slowly see the paint pull away from the wood. if you are good, you can even get the whole thing off in one piece.
  • hair growth
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment