Friday, February 26, 2010

Mixing paint and varnish : what effect do you get ?

I'm doing up an old piece of furniture as a surprise for a teenage niece, to match her bedroom's colour theme. The item has been painted black, and I've already given it a coat of clear varnish for a bit of gloss. Now I'm just wondering if mixing ordinary pink wall paint (an emulsion I presume) with the clear varnish might yield some interesting result ?


The aim is not to mix the paint to make it glossy.


What I want is to have some kind of marbled, or streaky, or splashy, or pebbled effect even, which I think might be interesting if applied on the black background carefully.


If mixing the two can yield some sort of effect like that, would the mixture dry properly or take ages to dry ? Would it dry at all ?


I do have a dry shed to store the furniture in while it dries, and no time limit, I can wait :)


I'm going to try it out with a tiny bit anyway, but it would be more economical and quicker to have a better idea what to expect.Mixing paint and varnish : what effect do you get ?
Is the pink paint latex or oil based? That is the limiting factor here. Your varnish is most likely oil base and the latex will not mix with it, oil and water do not mix. If you are wanting a marbling effect try a feather. Wet the edges of a feather and drag it over the finish, it will leave veins like in marble on the surface. Let that dry and then put clear over it. That will leave an interesting effect.
  • hair growth
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment