Saturday, February 27, 2010

How to varnish the painting?

i want to know what brand is the better one to varnish and what is the corect steps to varnish the paint.......How to varnish the painting?
What medium is the painting? Acrylic or Oil. If it is an oil painting you need to wait 3-6 months until you varnish it, depending on the thickness of the paint.





You also need to decide if you want a glossy varnish or low sheen/matte. I prefer Matte varnishes because you then won't get a glare in the middle of your piece when light shines on it. It is a personal choice.





Some varnishes may be removed, in order to clean or repair the artwork at a later stage. I don't find the need for that, so I generally use Polymer Varnish. The removable kind is Soluvar.





I use varnish as an evener....evening out the gloss in the oil paints I use. I use Liquitex Matte Varnish. Even though I prefer Golden acrylic paints over Liquitex, I like Liquitex varnish for my oil or acrylic or mix media pieces. Don't thin it. Don't over brush either or it gets cloudy. Nice even strokes top to bottom and don't go over areas.How to varnish the painting?
Should we do that? I think we don't have too... I dunno...
The best medium is shellac and methylated spirits. Go to your nearest Art supply or hardware it's so cheap and looks great. It gives painting an antique look and you don't have to wait a long time before applying it to oil paintings. Although it's recommended you wait a few days and although shellac is from a natural source it can still be a bit toxic because of the metho but it's not as toxic as the manufactured vanishes.


What you do is get a clean jar, fill half with shellac and then some metho and stir. Leave over night and then it's ready for use. good-luck

No comments:

Post a Comment