Saturday, February 27, 2010

For oil paintings: do you varnish a painting before you frame it or do you frame it first and vanish later?

You can frame it and than reframe it after you varnish. To reframe just take it out and put it back in. If you going to have a proffessional due your varnishing they can do the framing and reframing . Also oil pintings do not really need to be varnished they are usually good the way they are.


When I do my pieces I always use retuch varnish and that is varnish that can be used on canvases that are not fully dry. That brings out the colors and doesn't allow for dull spots, also it protects the paint fron pollutants.


Check out my work http://www.piotrwolodkowicz.comFor oil paintings: do you varnish a painting before you frame it or do you frame it first and vanish later?
Varnishing isn't always necessary. I never varnish my pieces, because there can be so many problems created simply by it yellowing, or putting it on too quickly, and I don't see as many pros as I do cons. However, if you do intend to varnish it, you must do so while it is outside of the frame. So you can either wait to frame it until after you varnish it (in 6 months to a year) or, if you're using a removable frame, you can frame it and then remove the frame in order to varnish it.For oil paintings: do you varnish a painting before you frame it or do you frame it first and vanish later?
I usually finish the edges of the canvas by continuing the painting in a wrap around fashion so when you view the edges you see a continuation of the picture. Then, I hang it like that, wait at least six months, and then frame it. Nowadays, many people do not frame their oil paintings.
I suppose that you varnish first and frame afterwards.
A painting should be completely finished before framing.
Yes, you can frame it as soon as it's dry to the touch (just warn your framer first! or use caution when doing it yourself).





The only thing I don't like about unvarnished oil paintings is the inconsistency in gloss/matte across the surface (different pigments dry with a different finish.) You can give it a light coat of Retouch Varnish to give it an even finish if you want to show it before it's cured.

No comments:

Post a Comment