Friday, February 26, 2010

I have just varnished a newly sanded wooden floor, but I now want to paint over it?

Can I use a really good primer first then apply the final finish coat? Which will be an off white.


Should I just lightly scour the varnished finish so that the primer will bond into it better?I have just varnished a newly sanded wooden floor, but I now want to paint over it?
You will have to sand off the varnish first because the paint wont stay onI have just varnished a newly sanded wooden floor, but I now want to paint over it?
You need to talk to the company you purchased the varnish from because a lot of paints are not compatible. Or talk to a company that you want to buy an One Part Epoxy Clear Coat with UV protection and have the can of varnish in hand so you can read the ingredients to make sure they are compatible.





Good Luck.
Give the 10 to Eskie :). I have to ask however; with no offense meant at all...';WHY PAINT';? And what type/base; and why White in any flavor; and will you clear coat that?





Steven Wolf
Sand it lightly first
I'm afraid not. Varnish creates a slick non-pourous surface which will need to be removed for the primer and paint to stick and give you the durability and performance required for flooring. You will have to sand it off, use a good stain blocking primer, allow it to cure, then apply your latex and then re-seal it with a UVB/UVA protecting, non-yellowing polyurethane.
just lightly sand the varnish with a medium sand paper ,then vacuum the dust up thoroughly.
I think the answer you seek might have something to do with the 'type / quality' of the product, and you'd best be asking the manufactures of these products.





Question: Did you Varnish the boards deliberately BEFORE applying the paint .....by that I mean 'knowing that you were intending doing so'?





I'd assume not, but....! (maybe you know something I don't!!)





Sash.
well, in all fairness, like DIY Doc said: Why Paint it?





now to answer your question.





Is it really Varnish? or is it polyurethane?





';Poly'; is the most common finish on wood floors. if so, and if it was recently (re)finished, you should wait for it to cure, I would say at least a couple of weeks, then use a 80 or 100 grit screen, you can rent the Buffer from the Home Depot, and screen the whole floor. and as a final finish, I would use an epoxy type finish. check with the manufacturer to see if primer is recommended.
leave it .
yeah your could but do it with sand paper to rough it up a bit - to make adhearing a bit better - if i may throw in my 2 cents if the floor is at all salvagable DON't paint it - paint is so difficult to get rid of if you wanna go back to the natural look -
  • hair growth
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment