Saturday, February 27, 2010

I want to apply very thick varnish on my oil painting. How will I do it? what is the best thick varnish 2 use?

i have my painting done and want to apply thick varnish. i want it to have an effect like lacquer finishI want to apply very thick varnish on my oil painting. How will I do it? what is the best thick varnish 2 use?
Do not varnish too early, even the thinnest oil painting should be allowed to dry for 6 months. A minimum of one month is required for thin Griffin alkyd paintings.





Winsor Newton makes a modern general purpose high gloss varnish simply called Artists Gloss Varnish. It is a clear liquid which dries to a non-yellowing glossy film. It may be mixed with Artists鈥?Original Matt Varnish to adjust degree of gloss. I've had good luck with it. If you want to be more traditional use Damar varnish. It will darken and yellow with time, but its been the standard for centuries. Good luck.I want to apply very thick varnish on my oil painting. How will I do it? what is the best thick varnish 2 use?
How lacquer or polyurethane affects the archival nature of the painting would be my main concern. What will the painting look like in 100 years? Will museums be able to restore it? If thats not important to you, I'd say go for it. Experiment on some small samples that are less valuable to you.

Report Abuse

No comments:

Post a Comment