Friday, February 26, 2010

Do you varnish an acrylic painting on linen BEFORE or AFTER stretching?

I purchased 2 acrylic-on-linen paintings. I will be stretching them over the weekend. They're absolutely gorgeous and were pretty expensive. I've been advised to varnish them. What type of varnish? Spray or paint-on? Bfore or after stretching?Do you varnish an acrylic painting on linen BEFORE or AFTER stretching?
I recommend painting it on if you have any skill whatsoever. Make sure it is specifically for acrylics! Do it AFTER it is stretched.





If you don't know the proper way to stretch, message me!Do you varnish an acrylic painting on linen BEFORE or AFTER stretching?
Definitely after stretching. Be carefull when you do it you don't want to crack the painting.If you don't know how people that frame art work can help you. In my paintings I use Spay matt varnish, its the best, no messy brushes. Good luck.
AFTER AFTER AFTER
I always stretch before doing anything oh sorry joking apart.


Yes, you stretch the linen and THEN you varnish :)


You can use a clear glaze medium prior to varnishing followed by a polyurethane water based varnish from an art shop (Jo Sonja';s a good make of gloss varnish). The clear glaze medium is a good safe initial glaze cover before a final clear glaze.


If slow to dry you can use a hairdryer GENTLY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment