Thursday, February 11, 2010

Can I paint varnish on a wood floor without sanding it first?

I have wood floors and the finish has worn off. I want to paint finish on, but don't want to sand the floors. can I just paint the finish on?Can I paint varnish on a wood floor without sanding it first?
you'll have to sand them. not only will the floor look spotted with light and dark spots where the finish is worn off, but if they've had a wax or some other kind of polish on the the finish won't stick it will peel off. either sand them or ';god forbid'; cover them.Can I paint varnish on a wood floor without sanding it first?
if you do, the finish will fail, preparation is key to doing any job correctly.
sure u can if u want the floors not to look nice. U will have old varnish mixed w/ new varnish %26amp; depending on what they used on it to begin with, it may clash.





I really would do it correct which would mean sanding it. U can rent floor sanders at hardware stores then u jst purchase the coarse to med to light sand paper then vacuum up all the sand dust... then wipe the floor to make sure u got it all then use a roller w/ a long handle for rollng on the varnish.





I believe they make acrylic polyerthaine which water based which would dry faster. If u do 1/2 of the room then do the other 1/2.. I'm sure w/ the heat... the lst 1/2 will b dry enuff to put anthr coat of varnish on %26amp; so on. Let it dry/cure for at least 48hrs to 72hrs depending on what the can states b/4 putting furniture %26amp; walking on it w/ shoes. U'll b the envy of all u'r friends... mayb they will hire U... ;-)
you don't have a choice, you have to sand it first. you may be wasting your time, money and effort if you don't follow my advice
If you sand the floors they will look smoother and glossier when you finish them. I suggest sanding them- you can get pretty cheap electric sanders at the hardware store that will make the job go much faster!
sure you can it just might not come out looking nice and smooth and you may end up re-doing it over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment