Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Can I varnish over a painted surface?

I have a dressing table that has been painted with emulsion and will scratch off very easily if i don't varnish it!!





I know i should have used a satin wood but you can't get the same flat finish as you can with emulsion!Can I varnish over a painted surface?
As long as its not glossy now then yes you can, emulsion is water based and varnish is oil based but much thicker to enable you to paint over the top. I've done it in the past and it worked a treat.Can I varnish over a painted surface?
Any outer coating (in terms of paint) is only as strong as the base. The emulsion that you propose to varnish over sounds as if it is not keyed onto it's base (whatever is underneath it) so varnish will add little or no strength.


You will need to remove the emulsion then rub down what's underneath with fine glass paper before recoating with whatever you choose.
You can, but depending on the varnish could be a yellowing coat. I have used a water based varnish over flat paint. Usually 2 to 3 coats and it is a nice clear finish. Sometimes I use matte or glossy depending on the look that I want. I have used these on house plaques that I have painted and hung outside and have withstood the elements.
yes you can. i know everything on this subject so trust me 100% .it will only go yellow if the colour is white. don't use lacquer
It's lacquer you want, not varnish.
  • hair growth
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment