Thursday, February 18, 2010

I have an acrylic painted canvas that I sprayed lightly with a varnish. Can I paint over it?

The painting is on a canvas. The medium is acrylic. I used Grummbacher - final resin based varnish for oil %26amp; acrylic. I want to re-apply a solid background color. Do you think this will be a problem, without removing the varnish? If so, what problem could this create?





Thanks a lot.I have an acrylic painted canvas that I sprayed lightly with a varnish. Can I paint over it?
I have painted over varnished paintings with gesso ( sanded the thicker painted areas first) then re-painted. I have also lightly sanded varnish in small areas then re-applied paint (oil)


I only use oil paints as I think they tend to hold up better to ';re-adjusting'; than acrylics do.


I'm not sure what the long term effects of this are...such as what problems this could create, but I have paintings I did this to and for the past five years there hasn't been an issue.I have an acrylic painted canvas that I sprayed lightly with a varnish. Can I paint over it?
If you used a water based varnish, yes. If you used a solvent based varnish, probably not,
varnish is something you put on at the end.. i dont think you should re-apply a solid background color.

No comments:

Post a Comment