Sunday, February 21, 2010

Should I paint my wood trim white like most people do, or should I attempt to re-varnish the original wood?

We own a 1920s bungalow that has mostly all original wood trim on the inside. And, it seems like nowadays everyone paints over their wood white--does this increase the re-sale by painting the wood white?Should I paint my wood trim white like most people do, or should I attempt to re-varnish the original wood?
Do re varnish it.





It will certainly mean more elbow work for you but you will be restoring the wood to its original look and finish and that will certainly increase the re-sale value much more than painting it.Most oil paints do not let the wood breathe and the wood gets rotten quicker when painted than when it is varnished(this is my personal experience while renovating my home)Should I paint my wood trim white like most people do, or should I attempt to re-varnish the original wood?
By all means leave it original. People spend thousands of dollars ';restoring'; the woodwork to it's original beauty. Woodwork usually gets a coat of paint because it is simpler and quicker. You wouldn't paint an antique chair or table would you?
There is no rule which says you must paint woodwork white, or strip it, or color it to merge with the walls. In a room whose walls, window frames and doors are in the same neutral color, you could paint the skirting board a clear contrasting color.





This will define the line between the floor and walls. Trim colors that contrast with walls and ceilings might suit your style in one room, while a more subtle color change might be right somewhere else in the house.





You can liven up plain, flat walls by adding moldings so as to create panels around the room. For best results, make sure you keep your working area within the proper temperature range recommended for the paint.





All interior woodwork that has been stripped, from baseboard to dining room tables, needs to be primed with either a standard acrylic wood primer. After that you can paint on it with oil-based flat eggshell, gloss, or acrylic paints.





Most interior woodwork looks best in an eggshell finish, as high-gloss paint can have a rather bleak, deadening effect. If your plan is to paint walls, ceiling, and trim, then it鈥檚 best to get the trim painted first, along with the room鈥檚 windows and doors. Paint woodwork in small sections. Keeping a wet edge to avoid lap marks.





A wide range of broken-color effects work well on woodwork, but ideally you should use oil-based paints as latex has little durability on wood. Stains add color to wood while allowing its natural grain pattern to show through.





Varnishes are clear finishes that form a tough coating over stain. They are available in a range of finish sheens from satin to high gloss. At the end of a project, combine all of the leftover paint of the same color into as few cans as possible.
I think painted wood is the current style and that it looks really nice. In the 80's the natural wood look was popular. I guess it would depend on the decor of your house as to what would look better, and how much trim you have. If you are selling it, maybe the next person would want the stained trim and would have to strip all that trim! What a decision! LOL!!


I think I would paint it!
Keep the wood!! I LOVE natural wood trim - but that's just me.
I've been asking the same question for three years. I also own a 1920 bungalow, an actual ';catalog'; house. (Not Sears, but a Sterling Home from Bay City Michigan shipped by rail to Missouri.) Every door, every closet and every window has fancy 5'; molding that has been painted and repainted white for years.I'm trying to decide if I should just repaint the wood or try to remove the paint and restore the wood. I can't find out if it was originally just stained or painted from the very beginning. Hope you get some good answers. If you can, email me at jaycee@cheerful.com if you find out any useful information.
Don't paint over the original wood trim!!!!!!!
Oh My, I firmly believe that anyone who paints wood should be arrested! The original wood is so beautiful. Plus, if you paint, you have created an on-going project as the wood will have to be repainted and repainted and repainted. As for resale value, if the paint chips (and it will), you will have to repaint if you don't want the chipped paint to decrease the value.
I am in the process of purchasing a home built in 1880, that has all of the original wood work painted white. I love the look of it, and will not be changing it. But as far as resale value, I think that it is all just a matter of personal preference. Everyone who sees the house is divided right down the middle on the issue, of whether they would strip the paint off, or leave it as is. My advice is, just do whatever you want. I don't think it matters in the long run.
  • how to cut hair
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment