Thursday, February 11, 2010

I am getting ready to paint my kitchen cabinets (not varnish) what type of paint should use?

Also, do I need to sand down the varnish that's on there now?I am getting ready to paint my kitchen cabinets (not varnish) what type of paint should use?
Sand them enough that they will allow the paint to adhere. I would use any paint other than flat. Flat paint won't allow you to wipe dirt %26amp; grease off like satin, semi, or gloss. If it was my cabinets I would use the oil base for durability.I am getting ready to paint my kitchen cabinets (not varnish) what type of paint should use?
gloss paint
I did mine last spring, i used a liquid gel stripper, then sanded, kilz primer %26amp; sanded again, then oil-based paint, then sanded again, %26amp; a second coat of oil-based paint. The oil-based paint was very hard to work with %26amp; took a few days to dry in-between coats (I had in basement with fans running %26amp; heat cranked) So it was a ton of work %26amp; very time consuming but my finished product is so worth it %26amp; any dirt that gets on them just wipes right off! I am super pleased!
degloss your cabinets with MEK (methyl-ethyl-ketone). Sand, clean, paint with good primer, Zinzer Kilz, the paint with oil based enamel.
I did this over the summer. First of all - if you have varnish on it - you can either sand or strip it - - but dont' try to cover it. After that step, apply a primer and then your finaly coat. I also covered mine with a coating of varnish afterwards to help keep them from chipping. They came out wonderfully and I added new hardware and have a new kitchen!
You need to lightly sand down the cabinets and use a soft dry cloth to wipe them down. Then you have to use a primer in white. You can then get the color paint you wish to use, but do not get a high shine glossy paint, because it will start to peel when you have steam from cooking. Also, grease will not wash off a high gloss paint.
i am apainting contractor and sanding down the varnish wont do ...get a good primer like x-i-m or a zinzer product and prime them first, then topcoat them with an oil based enamel..i like benjamin moore satin impervo.

No comments:

Post a Comment