Thursday, February 11, 2010

Stripping paint & varnish off my waynes coating with a heat gun?

Do I have to take extra measures for the fumes?


I have windows open %26amp; a fan in the window.





My son is worried about the fumes and I'd like to put his mind at rest.Stripping paint %26amp; varnish off my waynes coating with a heat gun?
In an old house, Its ALWAYS better to strip the old rather than install new. Modern wood is garbage. I use a heat gun to strip old woodwork--nothing works better. But fumes are an issue. For years I used no mask but i have not had my blood tested for lead. As i get older and feel less invincible- i worry about the lead affecting my health. To effectively screen out lead fumes you need a Niosh mask (the type that is rubber and has two spots on the sides for replaceable filter disks.) The little disposable ones protect against dust (sort of)but not vapors. And if small children will be near, or pets--you must be vigilant about disposing of the paint particles, or keeping them clear of fumes. Their small bodies are more affected by the lead, and it can cause physical and intellectual damage. If you can't remove the wood to strip it outside--probably your case--then wait til good weather and have all the windows open. Put a box fan-venting out--in the nearest window. Or better--see if you can rent an ambient air cleaner. The good news is, if your bottom layer is old varnish--the paint layers will come off really well. Clean up the wood with stripper and steel wool, wiping clean while wet. I like Circa 1850 brand-a methyl chloride type-doesn't need neutralizing. Wear gloves though. Feels burny.Stripping paint %26amp; varnish off my waynes coating with a heat gun?
Don't know, but if you want to look it up on the net, spell it





WAINSCOTING. (Variation: wainscotting.)
It would be so much easier to just take off the old, and put on new waynes coating, it's relatively inexpensive, and will save you 2 weeks worth of hard labor.....but if you continue stripping the paint, you should get a ventilation mask

No comments:

Post a Comment