Sunday, February 21, 2010

If I want to make my own quill fishing floats, then what kind of paint and varnish do I need to purchase?

the kind with lead in it of course. I wish I was kidding you can not use water based paint and the varnish my dad would use was ';spar'; Share a photo with us when you get them done. it is a wonderful americana artform. If I want to make my own quill fishing floats, then what kind of paint and varnish do I need to purchase?
you can use humbrol dayglo paints in red, orange yellow and white as a base coat for the tips of the quill and a good quality matt varnish for the rest of the float do not varnish over the tip of the float as this will reduce the reflective quality of the tip, i have made my own floats for many years and i use all types of quills ,goose ;crow ;sea bird feathers are very good , peacock and porcupine quills are ideal too ,just experiment and design your own i am sure you will get a lot of pleasure and satisfaction by doing so,best of luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment